Monday, October 15, 2012

Drowning Dreams

*Short Ghost story I wrote for English, yet had the idea way before then. English again, huh?



Drowning Dreams

My sister had nightmares about drowning. We would hear her thrashing about and moaning pitifully from our own rooms in the bleakest and darkest middle of nights. We were all sleep deprived. Being a family of three; my father, sister, and I, we considered ourselves close. But I think that we were farther apart than we realized. My sister never even told us the most important part of her nightmares. We had no idea until we read her diary afterwards. When she woke up, she was soaked in cold water. It wasn’t simply sweat; it was lake water, as though she had actually been swimming during the night. For the dreams we took her to a bunch of different people, thinking they could help, but they were to no avail. She still had those nightmares; we still woke up in the night. We eventually got so tired we had arguments. Oh, we had arguments. They were fierce and screamed for hours.  They were horrible beasts that raged on and on, chained to the floor, yet snarling and baring their teeth at one another face to face.  We would have to hold our ears while we screamed for fear of losing our hearing. Perhaps the anger was reason enough for her not to tell us about being soaked to the bone. I would certainly understand that.
                She told me about them once; the dreams. It was a solitary evening where we sat around the table half-heartedly doing homework while rain pattered like a soft drum-beat outside. Our town is very wet and cold, and can be depressing sometimes. I don’t know what came over my sister, but she suddenly started talking about them. Before then we had already debated about them for a long time, but she had always told us the exact facts of what she had seen, never more. This time she told me more in depth about what she felt. I remember it quite clearly. I always remember rain.
She had felt it when she was so small she could barely remember. We often went to the lake down a little ways from the town, and one time she was simply swirling her fingers in the water as usual, when she felt it enter her body. It was warm and light, so it delighted her, and she didn’t think anymore of it. We had learned that same day that a lady in her middle years had committed suicide by jumping off the highway bridge across the dam; tying her feet and hands together. She hadn’t put two and two together until she started having the dreams years later. She said they were the most painful experiences she had ever had. Whenever she entered the mind-stopping freezing water, her chest felt so heavy as if it was bleeding with heart-break. They were not her own feelings, but the memories of someone else. She couldn’t breathe either. She always woke up gasping for breath. That was one of her fears, she said; of drowning in her sleep, and dying in real life.
When my sister died, I remembered that evening conversation. No matter how hard we ran to find her, she had jumped and sunk herself down into the abyss of water. I had barely found her, when I saw her jump. I ran and jumped into the water after her, but I couldn’t find her. I couldn’t believe it, I simply couldn’t believe it. How could my sister, so joyful and happy before her nightmares, jump and kill herself? Did the nightmares have anything to do with it? Was it how she said? Did someone else’s soul drag her? As soon as I thought that, I felt something warm enter my freezing body. It started at my feet as though I was grabbed by an invisible hand, and spread upwards through-out my entire body. I felt paralyzed with relaxation. And from a voice in my head, I slightly heard someone whisper in my sister’s voice, “I don’t want to die.”

No comments:

Post a Comment