Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Headless Horseman and his Pumpkin Pie

Hmm, I haven't actually written about my life on here recently. I guess this isn't really like my diary, is it? More like a storehouse for my poetry that sometimes sucks and sometimes doesn't. For everyone that reads my blog, thank you. It's greatly appreciated and noticed. I think it takes a certain type of person to enjoy the things I write though.

Moving on, I can't catch reality. School starts in two days. Or rather, Summer vacation ends. BAhhh! I haven't even done anything very interesting or even vaguely out of the ordinary. I'm afraid I'm turning into an ordinary person. That's the least thing I ever want to do. I want to be WEIRD forever! Forever! Forever! Forever! Forever! Forever! Forever! Forever!Forever! .....................forever.

Well, one thing I did this summer(lying), was eat pumpkin pie with the Headless Horseman. See, what happened was that I was walking through the woods avoiding the big bad wolf, when I smelled something squashy. Pumpkiny, to be exact. I followed my nose, and I soon came upon a small clearing where a man was sitting on a log heating up a slice of decadent pumpkin pie on a campfire. This man, was, obviously headless. A bit startled at my discovery, I stepped backwards, snapping a particularly noisy twig, and the headless man turned his head(well, if he had one) and looked at me. A moment of silence pursued this, both surprised at meeting the other. But I wanted some of that pumpkin pie, so I spoke up. "Can you spare any of that stuff?" I nodded towards the roasting pie. He tilted his body much the same way you or I would cock our heads, and muttered out something that was at first incomprehensible. His voice could not have come through his mouth, of course, so it had a strange, deep hollow sound, like a deep-sounding echo as it came through somewhere in his neck. Although I could not tell exactly what he had said, it sounded much like an agreement, so I sat down  on the opposite log. " So,hey dude, whats up with you and Ichabod Crane lately?" He stiffened noticeably and put his hands in his lap. "Ichabod Crane is a fictional character." Aren't you? "Really?" I asked, covering up my doubt. "Yes." He proceeded to tell me his life's story. The stories about him were apparently made up by one man in the village who had a grudge against him, and wanted to set the entire town against him. Which he did. The headless horseman had then run into the woods to hide, and had been there ever since, getting food and pumpkin pie from a kind granny in a house with chicken legs down the road. Whilst we were talking, a large solitary figure emerged from the woods. The big bad wolf sat down beside the fire and pulled puppy eyes on the headless horseman. This spectacle looked rather like it was from a comedy, the big, sparkly, round puppy eyes, set on a face and body of scars. It seemed to work on the horseman, though. He gurgled something like "AWWWW!" and promptly gave the big dog a piece of pie. I watched this with some interest. "So what's the story behind the wolf?" I asked. "Same thing, pretty much, though it was the bakers who were angry with him, always begging for the pastry's of the customers. He slowed down the business, with a wolf in front of the stores, you know?" A sudden realization came to me. "Oh, he was chasing me earlier. Was that because of these?" I pulled out my basket and opened the lid, revealing a cake and several muffins meant for my grandmother down the road with the chicken leg house. The headless horseman leaned forward and nodded. "yes, that would set him onto you." The wolf came over and sat on his haunches, doing the same puppy eye routine as before. Somehow it charmed me, and I found myself pulling out a muffin for the poor undernourished thing, thinking it couldn't be helped. The wolf gulped it down in a swift half-second. Feeling unnaturally generous, I now shared all the snacks in my basket with the horseman and Mr. Wolf. And so, our glorious orange afternoon ended with our stomachs bursting with treats, and we all lived happily ever after. Except my grandmother, whom I earned her wrath afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment