Monday, March 17, 2014

Milk & Honey

Milk & Honey
by me(whatever)
to Fireworks

The shadows sink lower in the remnants of the day,
when the sparks light and flicker inconsistently.
I felt my daydreams spin together
in a warm glass of milk.

the dragonflies and the butterflies,
where do they go when I'm asleep?
With a smiling mouth, and a gentle tongue
you led yourself away.

the blossoms on the trees,
blooming even in the coldest of nights.
In a world such as that,
I'd like to walk underneath the sparse coverage.

Locked away in a bottle, and slowly drowning,
the reasons and emotions become tied.
Where do I go when I'm asleep?
I'm running barefoot among a thousand fireworks.

They didn't understand when I lied,
and holding mittens against my face,
I realized the birdcage was still shut.

Even when I stepped lightly against the stone steps,
heaven wouldn't open those letters I left.
the leaves scatter, and enveloping an abandoned desire,
They and I watch the autumn dusk. 

Adding honey to the past words,
the clock that holds my name silently clicks.
as I gulp down the rest of the pain,
a nightingale sings from far away.

A song no one else can hear,
even when I told the truth,
they didn't understand. 

The message will be delivered,
carried through the ocean until the time melts slowly.
a ship made of dreams and deceit,
will carry me on.

Until I can step on the concrete paths,
I'll be gathering all the noises from here to there.
Where do they go when I'm asleep?
the wheel breaks the butterfly.

Echoing in the space between here and there,
the tautology will smear the dragonfly wings incomprehensible.
Inside a ghost of what you will be,
disappearing quietly in a horizon of pure white.

1 comment:

  1. the line "the wheel breaks the butterfly" is a reference to the line "who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?" in the poem Epistle to Dr Arbuthnot by Alexander Pope. The reference is also used in Coldplay's Paradise.

    ReplyDelete