Monday, January 28, 2013

Scaredy Bunny



Scaredy Bunny 
*a narrative I wrote for English
                I skulked in the darkness, waiting for my chance. It would be another failure as usual, but I held my breath and crept along the narrow brick path that led to the back of the house. Even if I had only been laughed at before (and given the stony face), this was still too good a chance to give up.
               
                I had been trying for the past week to scare my despicable older sister, but with no go. Each time I jumped out at her from a corner, or from behind a door, she just looked at me with an exhausted expression on her face. No doubt she just sees me as some little kid acting like a dork. After an endless amount of unsuccessful tries, she started to tell me off. She always does that. But I refuse to end this war without winning at least one battle. Today I had already embarrassed myself many times, so she wouldn’t expect another one out of the blue like this. 

My soaked, socked feet scraped the January ground. Yes, I had foregone shoes.
                I poked my head out from around the corner of the house. There she was- my evil sister, just barely clanking open the cage door of Chocolate Milk. She reached in and took out the plastic bowl, preparing to fill it with rabbit pellets. Looks like I was a bit early. It would be at least a few minutes before she would head back, all the while my feet freezing off their ankles. I whirled my head back around into the shadow of the wood shelter and suspiciously stared into the depths of the black surrounding all the junk we had piled up in there. The original plan had been to scare her from in here, but no way was I staying in here for more than a millisecond. It was too dark, and,-and scary. I couldn’t do it. I would have to back step to the slushy brick path and try to surprise her from one of the bushes.
                I crept back out into the scarce murky moonlight and looked around for something to hide behind. The bush I had thought to hide behind was too small, so I crept up to the one closest to the porch and crouched down in the muddy tangles to the side of it. I waited for what seemed like a millennium, developing a cramp in my leg. I focused my eyes at the bare-leaved Lilac bush opposite to try and keep the numb of my toes added with the desperate need for a stretch out of my mind. When I at last heard footsteps coming down, I had almost given up. I would just jump out at her and hurry up inside to warm up. She probably already knew I was here, anyways. I had made a lot of noises in my ninja attempts. But I listened hard to the footfalls, calculating the most precise moment where she would be close enough to “boo!” at.
Step, step, step, step….” –There was my moment!
I leaped out of my far-from-luxurious hiding place and planted my feet apart.
“RAWRRRRRRR!” I yelled half-way enthusiastic, my arms held like a retarded T-Rex. I was all ready to go inside now.
A choking sound that can only be described as a “gasp” escaped the targets throat, and she stumbled back in utter surprise. “Huh?” I thought. Her eyes were as wide as two dinner plates, and her face had paled like a ghost in shock. She stared at me for a full moment, as if catching up in her brain that it was me and not some serial killer. I didn’t know who was supposed to be surprised, me or her. The first time I had ever succeeded in scaring someone older than my little brother, and I didn’t know how to react. But her wide eyes suddenly found me as incredibly amusing. I laughed. Hard and loud, I laughed, pointing my finger at her with tears in my eyes. I laughed like a drunken man in Candy Land.
“Don’t laugh! It wasn’t funny!” she cried in premature anger, but she soon started laughing too. It was a rendezvous of laughs-for-all.
“I didn’t think you would actually be scared!” I gasped between laughs.
“It really isn’t funny!” She said. “When you startled me like that it scared the crap out of me! It was like my heart stopped! Don’t ever do that again!” her voice trembled with laughter rocking her whole body.
We laughed and snorted like pigs for a full minute.
“But how long were you behind that bush?” she asked when we finally calmed a little.
“A while,” I said. “But can we continue this conversation inside? My feet are freezing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment