Thursday, December 13, 2012

Huckleberry Finn

*These are poems that I wrote for an English project, because we had to do an activity with reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. My group chose to go with the prompt 'character relationships' and use poetry to describe them. I got to write poems for the relationships of Huck with his father, and Huck with the King and the Duke. In my personal opinion, I like the poem of Huck and his father better.

Huck and his Father 
12/12/12
by me(whatever)

He's one that nothin' could reform
no matter how it tried.
No purpose to 'livin,
except to drink
and no purpose to being a gentleman
'cept to eat.

Livin' his life by a borrowin',
a chicken he'd want only for himself
that swine of a drunkard,
he'd a kill himself dead,
and in his dreams,
he'd a kill me to.

Lockin' me up like a rat
for a fortune of six thousand,
but not a penny I'd want
for freedom and to remain unsivilized.

If he'd a want some coins,
it'd be spent on liquor,
and if he'd a want a belt,
it'd be spent on me.
Huck and the King and Duke
12/13/12
by me(whatever)

"Lowdown humbugs and frauds" were they,
the two of them,
thick as thieves,
a King and a Duke with no money of their own 
bow down themselves to their lies.

Between the four of us, we wanted different things
Like my father and his liquor
Was their extreme want for those green frappings,
yet the two of us besides,
Watching their deviltry with displeasure,
wished for the green, green grass.

And with their trickery up their sleeves
numerous as their lack of coins,
They sung and recited from played sorrow,
playing and paying the people with all they got.

I would stand for that,
but I would not stand for tricks
given to the parentless,
and neither would they stand to be penniless,
So they sold out my friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment